Richmond has swung the axe at selection ahead of their match against North Melbourne on Saturday.
Jack Ross, Jason Castagna, Jake Aarts, Mabior Chol and Ryan Garthwaite have all been omitted after last week’s four-point loss to Fremantle.
Nick Vlastuin, Kamdyn McIntosh, Callum Coleman-Jones and Hugo Ralphsmith have been recalled, while Maurice Rioli Jnr will make make his AFL debut.
With Richmond’s premiership defence hanging by a thread, Garry Lyon is of the opinion that coach Damien Hardwick is sending a clear message to the likes of Ross, Castagna, Aarts and Chol.
“The most interesting ones (changes) for me is for the Tigers,” Lyon told SEN Breakfast.
“Jack Ross – gone, Jake Aarts – who started the year on fire – gone, Jason Castagna – premiership star – gone, Mabior Chol – three weeks ago was the next big thing – gone.
“I think he (Hardwick) is having a look at this group and he’s sending a message to those boys that they’ve got a big summer ahead of them.”
Unused medical sub Josh Caddy was also dropped and has been out of favour for much of the season, making just six senior appearances so far this campaign.
Could the dual premiership Tiger’s future lie away from Punt Road?
“Of all those guys, probably Josh Caddy is the one,” Tim Watson said.
“He’s been in and out and hasn’t been able to cement a place again and under these circumstances when there are so many other players out, you would expect that someone that is considered to be a regular player and part of the future would be playing right now.”
Caddy, 28, is contracted for next season.
More in AFL
“This time next year…”: Cornes’ bold pick for his next AFL head coach in waiting
“I think he is the most ready head coach in waiting.”