Results

Trending topics

Select your station

We'll remember your choice for next time

Bennett calls for patience, reveals he has spoken to Ponga

3 years ago

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett has again called for patience as his club looks to build its roster for the 2023 season.

The Redcliffe club missed out on another one of their key targets on Thursday, with Junior Paulo turning his back on a big-money offer to re-sign with Parramatta.

Despite missing out on Paulo among others, Bennett says he’s happy with how the Dolphins have gone so far in signing Melbourne’s Felise Kaufusi, Parramatta’s Ray Stone and Kiwi rugby union prospect Valynce Te Whare.

“We just want the right people,” Bennett told The Daily Telegraph.

“I’m happy with what we’re doing and how we’re going about it.

“It’ll fall into place by this time next year.

“We’re interested in anyone playing rugby league at a high level and we want the best players we can get here.

“Junior (Paulo) is in that category but I don’t think that will be happening.”

Bennett says the club isn’t looking to pick up any player that’s available, instead opting to take a long-term approach as the new franchise hopes to build a bedrock of success for its first decade.

“We’re prepared to wait for players if we have to, to get the right player at the club,” he said.

“No one is looking for a quick fix here. No one is looking to win a premiership in year one.

“What we are looking for is that we build a club that’s very strong and has a future through the decades. If we get it wrong at the beginning, it will take us 10 years to get it right so we can’t afford to get it wrong.”

Collingwood defeats arch-rival Carlton by 17 points at a packed MCG
0 seconds of 4 minutes, 29 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
04:29
04:29
 

The big name that’s constantly been linked to the club is Queensland and Newcastle’s Kalyn Ponga, and Bennett revealed he has had a conversation with the superstar fullback.

“I’ve had one conversation with him,” he said.

“I’d never met Kalyn before so I wanted to talk to him.

“We’re a long way from making a deal.

“I think he (sounded interested) but he’s committed to Newcastle.”

Ponga could reportedly be offered a deal worth near $1.5 million a season to join the Dolphins.

He has clauses in his contract that could see him opt out of his Newcastle contract at the end of the 2022 season.

The Dolphins will play their first NRL game in Round 1, 2023.

More in NRL

NRL

Souths pull off remarkable win as Mitchell shines on return

Latrell Mitchell put in a stellar performance to lead South Sydney to a improbable win

By Nicholas Quinlan
NRL

From 4-peat to 1-4: Panthers in ‘uncharted waters’ after upset loss to Cowboys

For the first time since the 2013 NRL season, the Panthers find themselves 1-4

By Nicholas Quinlan
NRL

Broncos warned against offering Payne Haas a 10-year deal

“The Broncos are just not in a position."

By Charles Goodsir

Featured