Former Hawthorn welfare manager Jason Burt has dropped a bombshell on the club’s racism saga, claiming one family at the centre of the case aren’t indigenous Australians.
Burt, along with former Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson and then-football boss Chris Fagan, were this week exonerated by an independent investigation and cleared of all charges under AFL rules.
But legal counsel acting for the families, Leon Zwier, has confirmed the group will pursue a claim through the human rights commission against the former Hawks trio.
However, in a post to his Facebook and LinkedIn accounts on Wednesday night, Burt said Hawthorn’s “so-called welfare check” was flawed.
“The Binmada “report” commissioned by Hawthorn and leaked to the media was a disgrace. Hawthorn’s appointment of Phil Egan to conduct it was the first example of poor governance by Hawthorn Football Club in this process,” Burt wrote.
“I also think it’s important to clarify that “Zac” and “Kylie”, who continue to make allegations to the media, are not indigenous Australians.”
Hawthorn has repeatedly claimed its findings stemmed from a welfare check on its past First Nations players and staff.
Hawks president Andy Gowers said on Wednesday: “We simply wanted to check in on the wellbeing of past First Nations players and staff to see if they needed any extra support. The club provided that report to AFL Integrity, not only because we are required to do so, but it was also the appropriate avenue to have the allegations tested and investigated.”
Burt said it “instead presented a selection of unproven and unreliable grievances and allegations which were not checked with me or many other indigenous and non-indigenous players.”
“The leaking of it to the media by whoever did it, was even worse. Yet within this process, it has been heartening to review the documents and interviews shared by all past players and officials (many indigenous) who speak a different truth about how the Hawthorn Football Club operated in the same time as these vile allegations. The AFL could not speak this truth yesterday.
“The Independent Panel had been provided with thousands of documents from Hawthorn for review. Moreover, I also provided the AFL with detailed information which I believed demonstrated our innocence, and is now supported by this finding, of the awful allegations that have been made by the complainants and leaked to the media without any opportunity to respond. Chris, Alastair and I were refused access to the Hawthorn documents until last week.
“This is a case of four men (former players) that spent time at Hawthorn who all needed substantial guidance, support and care. This is what they, and so many other players, received from many people over their time at Hawthorn, including from Alastair, Chris and myself. All four former players have spent time in my house, with my family as part of the club’s method of helping each to resolve their issues. Their time at Hawthorn was maximised because of the on and off field support offered to each.
“If the outcome of this 'imperfect resolution' appeases the complainants, then I wish them well. Unfortunately, this outcome has done little to diminish the anguish and hurt experienced by my family throughout this ordeal and most likely well into the future.
“Few people would appreciate the path Alastair, Chris and I have walked for the past eight months under the weight of these grave and false allegations. I am glad that the allegations have finally been dismissed by the AFL and the independent panel and look forward to the opportunity to reveal the truth in any further proceedings.”
Burt declined to comment further on Wednesday night.
More in AFL
“This time next year…”: Cornes’ bold pick for his next AFL head coach in waiting
“I think he is the most ready head coach in waiting.”
"It’s the core of a premiership defence": Why the Crunch Time team is bullish on young Geelong duo
SEN's Crunch Time team is bullish on Sam De Koning and Connor O'Sullivan
Dangerfield calls for maturity around restricted free agent discussions
Patrick Dangerfield believes the AFL industry should be more mature discussing player's contracts after Oscar Allen's meeting with Hawthorn